With the season drawing to a close our juniors’ last club championship meet was the Brisbane Metropolitan Championships, where we had 11 swimmers compete in 20 events placing in the top ten 8 times with George Bennett winning Silver in the 200m Backstroke.
We also had a number of swimmers compete in the regional and state school swimming championships where Dominic Dunstan (12) and Nick Garozzo (17) were selected to represent Queensland at the National titles.
The main focus for our senior swimmers was qualifying for the Age National titles in Sydney during the Easter holidays. Four of our swimmers qualified in 8 events.
- Jody-Joy Davie (15) swam in the 100m and 200m butterfly placing 17th and 14th respectively
- Nick Garozzo (17) swam in the 100m Backstroke finishing 22nd
- Jessica Black (13) swam in the 100m and 200m Breaststroke finishing 21st and 27th
- Samuel Speedie (13) swam in the 50m, 100m and 200m Freestyle where he made the final of both the 50m and 100m finishing 10th in both and placing 27th in the 200m.
The Nationals are the pinnacle of the sport for our age group swimmers and this year the club had 7 swimmers qualify in open water and the pool which was a great achievement for the club. With a number of excellent juniors coming through the ranks that number looks set to grow in the coming years.
The final event for the season was the Club Championships and presentation evening. This year we had 84 swimmers compete in what was an afternoon of exciting and competitive swimming. Following the championships we had a BBQ and then presented 62 trophies ranging from the President’s trophy to age champions. Some of the major awards were;
- Best Performed Senior Girl Kristen Wallace
- Best performed Senior Boy Samuel Speedie
- Best performed Junior Girl Emily Cobb
- Best performed Junior Boy Dominic Dunstan